}); The Road to Episode Infinity: Digital Doubles!

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Digital Doubles!


In my past post I lamented a foreseeable future where original Star Wars actors could never return to Star Wars films because they were dying off.

How wrong I was.

Tonight we saw digital doubles of classic characters such as Grand Moff Tarkin and Princess Leia.

Peter Cushing, who portrays Grand Moff Tarkin in the 1977 film Star Wars, died in 1994. He was resurrected in 2016 by very convincing and expensive CGI animation. I guess I knew this is where film was heading eventually, but I didn't know it could be done right now, this effectively. Tarkin had a lot of screen time. How many millions were spent?

Another surprise we received at the closing seconds of the film was Princess Leia. I mean, this is the Carrie Fisher we all know and love, somehow resurrected from the grave... okay Carrie Fisher isn't dead, but you know what I mean.

I think I'll save my review for the film for a later date, but this one element is impressive, promising, and maybe a little worrying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment